Sunday, October 16, 2011

Glitter

I'm a fan.

It all started with a frame. Several years ago I was in the basement of a local framer and I caught out of the corner of my eye a small sparkle from beneath a pile of matte finishes. Once uncovered, it was a 3 inch band of the most brilliant silver glitter I have ever seen. I immediately envisioned it framing a picture of one of my nieces in a tutu, tucked around a corner somewhere in my home. It would be a little surprise every time one came upon it. The friend shopping with me that day thought I was nuts, but I had to have it.

Ever since that day I have slowly and carefully been introducing sparkling elements into my home. Ok, maybe recovering the sofa in a glittering chenille does not fall into either the slow or careful categories, but I knew I loved it and I am still enamored. However, it is a very fine line I am walking that, if crossed, could have terrible consequences. Well, it could at least result in large reupholstery bills.

There are a lot of less intimidating ways to glamorize your home with a bit of shimmer. Accent pieces like light fixtures, throw pillows and mirrors are a good way to start without much commitment.
Shine on!

1 comment: